Saturday, May 22, 2010

Southern Recipe: Fried Green Tomatoes


First of all, if you're in the south you can possibly go outside and pick a tomato, or run down to the vegetable, if you're not, you can possibly get a green tomato in the store or at a farmers market. If you want the tomatoes to be crispier (and less soft on the inside) get one that really green, if you want one with a crust but soft on the inside, go for a tomato starting to turn pink.
You will need:
A tomato
Enough flour to batter it in (a few tablespoons)
Salt and pepper/seasoning salt/preferred seasoning
Oil to fry them in
First, season the slices of tomato on both sides, then dip them in the flour until its covered, then give it a gentle shake (to get rid of excess) and place them in the pan of hot oil.

They'll look like this at first...

Almost done...


Let's EAT!

So far everyone I've gotten to try these have loved them (providing they actually liked tomatoes in the first place.) Hopefully if you've never had them you'll become addicted to this summer treat just as I have.

Elisabeth Arona

7 comments:

  1. I love fried green tomatoe sandwiches!! My grandma used to make them all the time for us growing up!! Yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh thanks for the recipe! Living in Australia I had always wondered how to make this dish and how it actually taste. Must try it some time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look so yummy and I am definitely going to have to try them!

    ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Dh I can't remember when I first ate these, but I did start making them myself soon after. Some people make them with cornmeal...
    @Deb You're welcome! I hope you get around to making it and like it too!
    @Suki they're super fast and super easy so they're good for those times when you don't have all day to cook.

    ReplyDelete
  5. omg ive never had these.. ive have fried pickles ... i wanna try these...looks good

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hooray, Hooray!!!

    I clicked on your blog when I saw you had left a comment on Faded Prairie's (I'm new to the whole blogging thing and love Faded Prairie's site and thought that I would love anyone else's blog who liked hers!)

    Anyway, I'm for sure going to try this recipe out, I just wrote it down in my little notebook! I have read, heard..etc..about Fried Tomatoes but have never had them (we're way up here in the north country! :) ) Yesterday I asked a girl how to make sun tea.....again, this is something I've heard about but never tried. :)

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Taylor, they're way better than fried pickles. I tried the fried pickles and they made my face scrunch up lol
    @ Cheyenne, thanks for stopping by, and you're welcome! You don't know what you've been missing out on!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment and put a smile on my face!