Saturday, October 30, 2010

I am a brand-and you are one too.

I belong to a great team on Etsy. Etsy.com is an online location for handmade and vintage sellers and buyers to gather and change the world (but just check it out to really GET it.) Joining a team is like being in a club, people who understand you, your frustrations as a seller or creator, and in this case (since it's a Christian team) also discuss topics that apply to your every day life as a Christian. All of this is just me rambling though. Today one of the members of the team said she pulled an "Arona" by sleeping in, because obviously I am Arona, and I have been sleeping in a LOT lately and come in to say good morning when morning is almost over. I joked about how I am a brand, because someone named sleeping in after me...and yes, I realize that this isn't the best thing to have named after you but follow me here, it's gonna get interesting.
When I graduated last year from college, our commencement speaker spoke about brands. You know, his job is to make everyone that just graduated so ridiculously excited about getting out there and being successful that they actually get out there and become successful. He said something that will probably stick with me forever. Are you ready? Okay...
............................
........................................
.....................................................
..............................................................
You ARE a brand.
Wasn't that deep? Maybe not without explanation :-) When someone says "I ate Cheerios for breakfast." You immediately picture cereal, because that's what Cheerios is! No one has to describe what they look like, or what ingredients are included, Cheerios IS the all-encompassing description of this food. In the same way, when someone says your name, everyone around immediately has a picture in their minds of what or who you are. Some will automatically think of you as nice, others as industrious, and of course sometimes there are some negatives (we're all human after all.)
You and I are constantly shaping-and hopefully improving upon-our personal brands. Yesterday, I heard on the radio that a large, well-known store is trying to change the way people look at them. To do this, they are lowering prices, and for those who don't want to go into their stores, they are making an online version with low shipping. By doing this, they show that they "care" about their current and prospective customers; they make it impossible to dislike them by making sure no one can find the items anywhere else so conveniently and inexpensively. I attempt to be the type of person that can always be put out for others, and the friend that can be called any time. Since people always call me no matter what I'm doing, and I even get texts demanding to know why I would go to sleep early (when they are still awake and need someone to talk to) I assume that I am now known for my availability...While this is perhaps a branding "don't", there are many things that you can really do with this idea both in your personal mentality, and in the way you improve your business acumen.
Just think, you are completely responsible for how people think of you! You can build your brand to be known for all sorts of wonderful things! Go for it, go complete your brand!

Elisabeth Arona

7 comments:

  1. Brand Arona! :o)

    I like to think of myself as that go to person who will always treat you respectfully and with grace. The grace that the Lord has given me. I have not always had that and the people that used to know me still think of me as that "other" person. It takes hard work to change brands. ♥♥♥
    Suki

    ReplyDelete
  2. I teach customer service classes and bring the same concept to it. We all represent something, whether we like it or not and hopefully it is the good in us that becomes our brand. Arona - If I were to brand you it would be as kind person who shares and cares!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lizzi, enjoyed your post and I hope soon to pull a
    'Arona' myself...haha.

    You might not shake the sleeping late brand.

    Good article and you are right we should try to brand ourselves.

    Rox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun play on words - and great thoughts! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks :-) The people who have met you more recently know your brand for what you just wrote.
    pfd, I wish I lived nearby and could take your classes.
    Rox, pulling an Arona once in awhile is good :-) Lol I woke shake the sleeping late thing as long as I don't shake the staying up late thing.
    Thanks for commenting Imaginuity!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful blog post. Love your thoughts. I've been thinking a lot about brands lately. Very interesting from a store standpoint, as well as a faith standpoint. Thanks for getting me thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy to find your blog, Lizzi! I'm now following you. Great post and very true. We are all something to those we see and meet. Only we can decide to make it something positive and good. Changing the reputation of a "brand" is difficult to do, so it's very good to start being "the brand" that you want to be early in life. But it's never too late to do an extreme makeover and it's not so hard when you put Jesus into the equation!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment and put a smile on my face!