Friday, September 19, 2014

Twisted Hair-and photography skills


Yes, this is my hair right now. First of all, let me address this photography. I do realize that the flash against this white wall (took the pic at night) makes weird shadows against the wall and make me look really weird. Sorry. I had to jump on pic monkey and slightly lighten it so you could really see my hair texture.
Now, the hair. This is actually my go-to "style" since I work out frequently and need to keep it orderly. I find, that although I feel like I'm doing it almost the same, it looks different each and every time. People naturally assume that I'm doing a twist-out (which is when you twist your hair to take it loose once dry to create "orderly" messy curls"), but I often take them loose, wash my hair, and retwist. I try not to get all up in my feelings when people say "It's going to look so pretty when you take it down!" Simply because I know they mean well and can't possibly know I consider this a style all it's own. I've had some assume that my hair was curly.

"Funny" story: I was out at the store with this style, and a Vietnam vet (for so his hat said) stood really close to me in the pastry line and recounted to me when he had seen his first black person. He laughed heartily while I smiled politely, then said, "But that was a real black person, not like you. By the way, I like your curls! Must take a long time to do that, huh?" I know that there are so many things wrong with his statements, but I feel that if I were to get upset at every ignorant thing people said, I would be upset all the time! I know people like that and it isn't cute. At least my hair got a compliment lol. 

Cheesy fake grin
For these twists, I used As I Am twist defining cream. Which I bought at a regular little beauty place down the street. Click on the picture to be taking to the brand site to see retail locations. 
 It is so delicious looking, the texture is actually really creamy and almost yogurt-like. Sometimes it takes thicker cream to get my hair to stick together and spiral, but this works for it! When it comes to shrinkage, this does make it really really draw up, but in a way that's a good thing. It makes my hair so boingy that friends have described the twists as looking like springs, and after styling with this particular cream everyone had their hands in my hair. I have anosmia (meaning I have no sense of smell), but since people have sniffed my hair afterwards and hummed appreciatively, I'll say it has a great scent. By the way, no one gave me anything to write this about this product, in a few months I may have found something I like better...but really I need a good leave-in! Any suggestions?

I feel that since you can see it a little here, I must say something about my face at least briefly. It is improving. Most of my breakouts are once a month, and then it's mainly around my jawline and chin rather than randomly everywhere. The hyper pigmentation seems to be improving soooo slowly, but I'm taking pictures for a few months-once every week (overkill I know) to kinda have a really accurate track of any improvement. I'm using several oils on it also, but I'll do a separate post on that eventually.

So...was that enough ado about nothing? 

Lizzi

8 comments:

  1. Lizzi, you mean if I use that cream and twist my hair, I could get those "dreds" too. They don't really look like "dreds" because dreds look all dry and your don't. Very cute, I'd say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rita, lol sorry...only if your hair is already curly!

      Delete
  2. It looks great Lizzi! I wish I could tame my mane. Right now with work and working out it is usually in a bun or ponytail. Not at all stylish like yours :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lorrie. Because I've been pulling my hair back too tight and pulling it out, I've slowed down on those. I have always been a lover of the ponytail though.

      Delete
  3. (I'm just now looking at your blog... love it!☺)
    As I Am's leave-in is fantastic! By far my favorite.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment and put a smile on my face!