Monday, September 12, 2011

Make it Monday--picture frame earring holder

Since I got my ears pierced in March, I haven't had anywhere to put the few earrings I have. I've lost a few, and the rest I've kept in a cup on my dresser. Today I decided to make an earring holder out of a picture frame, I'd heard that it was fairly simple to do so I went looking for some screen. Turns out, it's simple to do if you can find screen hanging around somewhere! Sometimes you just have to use a little ingenuity.

Here are the things you will need...screen or lace (I used pink lace I found in my fabric supply), a picture frame, scissors, earrings, glue gun, and sustenance aka cereal to eat while the glue gun heats up. 


Using a sharpie I marked out exactly the size I needed the lace to be to glue it in place

Then glued one side in at a time...

FINISHED!

I think it looks pretty good...but it won't stand up by itself :-(
Soooo find a sturdy piece of cardboard-in this case I used the piece I'd taken out of the back of the frame itself-and squeeze out hot glue onto it in a nice line...

Press that sucker onto it nice and firm...

And there you are with the finished product. 

In retrospect I think a sturdier fabric (think cross stitch fabric stuff, or screen, or lace that isn't stretch) would have been a better option. I may start carrying these in my new etsy shop.

What do you think? Is this something you would be interested in making?

Elisabeth Arona


12 comments:

  1. You're creative and really put that together quickly - I checked our discussion thread and saw you were thinking of making them, and checked back and saw that you had made them! Wow!
    My ears aren't pierced though, but I think it's a really neat idea for storage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could take the credit, but the idea I got from someone else :-)
    Now I need to clear a space on my dresser for it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julia, it's so quick and easy. I should do glue gun crafts all the time. It's addictive and when you start you just wanna glue everything lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lizzi...here's something I did. I hung it inside my clothes closet too. I used a corkboard. I had an old one. You can just stick the earring wires or clasps right into the cork. You can also hang brooches on it (by the pin)

    Another way to hang is to put the pair together and use a "T" pin to hang both earrings together onto the board. This works well for clip earrings.

    Suggestion: sometimes you can find used cork boards at 2nd hand stores.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea!

    Did you lose the ones I sent you? :o)

    ♥♥♥
    Suki

    ReplyDelete
  6. Suki, I didn't lose the ones you sent me :-) They're in the teacup in the first picture.

    Rita, I have a corkboard but it's really big. Good idea though. I have some clip kind for pierced ears and also some big dangly ones that I need another way to hang.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! And very easy to try myself! :-) The only problem is I don't wear earrings anymore because my holes closed up lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it, and it's so inventive. Great work! ^_^

    Hugs,
    Elfie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would have never thought of this...so cute! Thanks for stopping by my blog. Happily following you back :)

    http://www.wherenothinggoodcomeseasy.com

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment and put a smile on my face!